Ethereum is a decentralized open source blockchain application platform. Ethereum helps developers build and deploy decentralized applications on the blockchain . At a simple level, Ethereum Platform can be broken into 2 distinct units. Smart Contracts and Accounts. Smart contracts signify the code used to execute an application use case. The application can be custom currency, financial instruments, smart property or nonfungible assets like domain names. Accounts on the other are basically a combination of addresses and keys which can be used to send the value (Ether) over the network. Ether is the currency of Ethereum network. Any transaction on ethereum network will attract a transaction fee which has to be paid in ethers. This transaction fee is called Gas. More the gas associated with your transaction faster it will get executed over the network.
Ethereum was founded by Vitalik Buterin along with Mihai Alisie, Anthony Di Iorio, and Charles Hoskinson. Ethereum was proposed in January 2014 and subsequently launched later in 2014. Ethereum is currently run by Ethereum foundation based in Switzerland.
Ethereum can be purchased from any of the top exchanges. Based on your geography and currency you can choose the right exchange. Once you have bought it is always safe to transfer Ethereum to your wallet.
Some of the top exchanges in different Geographical Locations
1. Coinbase : SFO, USA. USD,Euro,GBP
2. Kraken : SFO, USA. USD,Euro, GBP,JPY,CAD
3.BitStamp Luxembourg . USD, Euro
4.Unocoin : India. INR
5. CEX.io: London. USD,Euro, GBP
5.BitFinex: Hongkong. USD
When it comes to ethereum wallets. There are multiple options
1. Hardware Wallets: Top Hardware wallets include Ledger Nano S, Trezor, KeepKey.
2. Desktop Wallets: Meta Mask, Mist, Exodus
3. Mobile Wallets: Jaxx.
4. Exchange Wallets: My ether wallets, coinbase wallet
1. Immutability: Immutability means something which cannot be undone. Ethereum like other blockchain applications provide immutability i.e. no third party or user without requisite access credentials can change any data and all state changes are recorded.
2. Censor and tamper proof: With all transactions driven by consensus driven by distributed nodes it practically impossible to censor or corrupt the network.
3. Security: As with well-designed blockchain platform based on cryptography ethereum is secured with low or no probability of hacking attacks against applications
4. No Downtime: Ethereum with its distributed architecture promises zero downtime.
1. Scalability: This is not a problem for ethereum alone but one that all distributed blockchains will face.
2 .Supporting multiple Dapps and ensuring a viable app ecosystem for all developers as the complexity of the platform increases with scale
3. Ensuring security from malicious codes running and bringing the whole network down.
Vitalik (Ethereum Creator): https://twitter.com/VitalikButerin
Ethereum Foundation: https://twitter.com/ethereumproject
Technical Tips: https://twitter.com/LefterisJP
Ethereum Wallets : Best Ethereum wallets for 2018
Ethereum white paper: Read here
Ethereum Yellow paper : Read here
Ethereum community : Community Page
Other resources: Ethereum vs Lisk